Monday, June 16, 2014

Milk & Honey Spareribs


Rib Date: May 25, 2014

Ribsters: Szmidt family, Wiss family, Aiden McDonald, Stults family and Eric Jorgensen as the Beaver.

I wonder who was the first butcher to call this cut of meat "spareribs"?  He probably didn't consult the pig I'm guessing.

I made these ribs a couple weeks ago and think I'm still full despite only having a couple ribs.  They were that rich.  Yes, it turns out if you slow cook ribs in a soup of heavy cream and honey they turn out pretty rich.  Like Bill Gates rich.  Good.  But rich.  Did I mention these ribs were rich?

They actually originate in Piedmont, Italy, way up north.  So it makes sense that a thick, dense dish would come from there.  I'm imagining they'd pair nicely with one of the area's famous wines- Barolo.  I wanted the eat these with some Italian reds, but fell back on whatever folks brought over, which was OK, but not Italian reds...

The recipe actually comes from a famous Italian chef, Cesare Giaccone, who apparently has a tiny gem of a restaurant called Da Cesare.  It's located in a tiny hamlet, but it guess is destination dining.  I've never been to Italy (It's on the bucket list) but if I get near Albaretto della Torres I will eat at Da Cesare.  Yes, I will.

Here is how these ribs are basically cooked: Salt and pepper seasoning; Sear over direct heat, put in a pan over indirect heat where they simmer in heavy cream and honey until cooked all the way.  That's it.

Chef Kim Wiss, who's been to a few rib events here, thought they were the "best yet."  She said the whole dinner, which also had a mushroom risotto, was "cohesive."  I agree with the last part.

"Porky goodness" was how Andy Szmidt described these ribs.  His wife Jeanne dug the texture.

Eric Jorgensen said they were sweet and creamy.  (Insert your own joke here.)

The kids gave Milk and Honey ribs thumbs up too.

I liked the meatiness of these ribs with the occasional hints of honey.  Good stuff.

Next: BB's Rib Tips.  Rib tips will be an experiment for me, as we proceed through Steven Raichlen's book, "Ribs, Ribs, Ribs."

No comments:

Post a Comment